Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: In The Left Corner...  (Read 3772 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
In The Left Corner...
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »
A couple weeks back I sniped a Super Punch Out PCB from ebay.  I paid a hell of a lot of dough for it,  but that's what they're going for... I was actually figuring on swapping the Punch Out and Super Punch Out PCB's in my Punch Out cab when I placed the snipe... and when I won it I was pretty stoked.   I'd been looking for a SPO PCB set for months.  They just don't come up often.  In any case,  I won the PCB at around 3PM my time... an hour later I notice someone in Mountain Home (about an hour and  a half drive from here) had placed an ad for a Punch Out on craigslist.  It had actually been there for about 2 weeks,  but the guy never returned my emails prior so I figured it was bogus and forgot about it.  Well,  I clicked on the ad again and low-and-behold,  there was now a photo of the cab.  I figured "why not' and shot out another email fully expecting to be ignored again. 

About 7:30PM that same night I get a phone call from the guy with the Punch Out!  SOLD!  I immediately head out for a 3 hour road trip.  I got back around 10:30-11:00PM with the cab.  It worked... was in OK condition... and well,  what are the chances of finding only the 2nd Punch Out cabinet i've seen in this area in the 3+ years i've been collecting on the very same day I picked up a SPO boardset?!

Anyway,  this is what she looked like when I brought her in the garage...

The monitors will need to be capped (especially the top... it's starting to show some banding on the left)... the cab itself will need some work... but the electronics work great.  It even still has the Nintendo power supply.

Well,  I had some photos of some of the damage of the cab,  but I lost 11 days of photos from my camera somehow which really sucks because I had some great smiling photos of my baby etc.. You're stuck reading about what I did.  the right side was in decent shape... the the top back corner for about 1/2" was broken off and needed to be re-formed with bondo.  There was a couple of spots the edge along the back was damaged and there was some gouges and dents on the front toward the CP... all these were bondoed (glazing putty works great!).  The left side had more damage toward the back but less toward the front.  The damage on the back included 3 spots where a whole layer of the ply wood was broken off.  The back bottom corner was broken off for about 2-3" or so... around the middle had a 1" chunk missing and more toward the top had a small chunk missing.  All that was bondoed as well.  Afterward I applied a light coat of primer to the bondoed areas...the front was in OK shape but had a number of gouges and "pits" that I evened out with some glading putty.

Here is how she looks now...

At this stage I've also re-sprayed the monitor area and under the marquee black.. I've removed and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin----canned the original T-Molding,  removed the monitors and the control panel has been removed and stripped of the CPO...

I plan on cleaning the cab really well and painting it black tonight (black oil-based semi-gloss with a foam roller).  If I can get to it,  I will strip the control panel of the adhesive the CPO left behind and apply the new CPO I picked up from www.quarterarcade.com.   If I get that far I may re-install the buttons (after cleaning them) and I plan on rebuilding the joystick using the Super Punch Out "Pull Duck" parts I picked up from www.mikesarcade.com.

Tomorrow or the next day I will install the flat white T-Molding I picked up from Mikes and install the new repro side art I picked up from Quarter Arcade.   Hopefully by that time the "Super" side art and "Duck Pull" pieces of art I ordered from www.thisoldgame.com will be here.

The final piece of art I will need to finish the cab off will be the Super Punch Out marquee that Scott over at www.mamemarquees.com is printing for me.  Fellow BYOCian Mr. Do! supplied me with a rough scan of a Super Punch Out marquee (THANKS!) and I cleaned it up and sent it over to Scott...I think it came out decent enough...

I did receive my PCB from the ebay auction and I did test it and it works great!   The monitors will be re-capped in the future... with the top one being the first on the list...  I just have to build up enough items I "need" to order from Bob Roberts (www.therealbobroberts.net) before I place my order.  The wife and baby are flying to San Diego for a couple weeks from the 20th on so that may be a good time though I'd like to shop out at least one of my pins during that time (it's not often I have enough consecutive free time these days with the baby).  I'll post more photos as I finish up the restoration...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: In The Left Corner...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »
Nice pickup.  Your control panel looks to be in pretty good shape.  Mine had several rust spots.  You may want to consider a coat of Rustoleum primer before you put down the new overlay.  May help stop any rust that may be ready to form.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:57:03 pm »
Nice pickup.  Your control panel looks to be in pretty good shape.  Mine had several rust spots.  You may want to consider a coat of Rustoleum primer before you put down the new overlay.  May help stop any rust that may be ready to form.

I may prime it... at least around the exposed edges... but it's not really necessary around here... it's a very dry area.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
So you have both a punch out and super punch out cab then? Hmmm... perhaps if you decide to sell one I'll have to consider a trip over there to buy it. ;D
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:26:06 pm »
So you have both a punch out and super punch out cab then? Hmmm... perhaps if you decide to sell one I'll have to consider a trip over there to buy it. ;D

If 2600 ever comes out with his Multi-Punch Out I may take you up on the offer.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »
So far so good... 3 coats of black oil based Rust-Oleum applied with a fine foam roller...

Next up... T-Molding and control panel.  I'm going to hold off on the side art installation until Sunday to give the paint some time to outgas...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »
Welp... she's just about done.  All that is left is (A) Super side art from Rich... (B) Duck/Pull CPO art from Rich... (C) Super Punch Out marquee from Scott... and (D) Installation of a remote battery board.   Well... I'll also be ordering a couple of sound board cap kits and monitor cap kits.  The top monitor is screaming for a cap kit and one of the sound boards is a bit noisy so it too will get recapped within the next couple weeks.

The side art I picked up had a dirty screen in the orange of the left of the P for Punch Out... I cleaned it up as best as I could... but it's noticeable up close.  I'm a little bummed about that but not enough to pull the side art and wreck the paint...

Here's how the "P" looked before I touched it up...also note the red screen is 'off' slightly.  No... I am not happy... but I hate sanding and I sure as hell won't be pulling the side art off due to the chances it takes paint with it.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:26 am »
Are you going to keep those buttons white or switch them to orange to match your other cab?

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »
Are you going to keep those buttons white or switch them to orange to match your other cab?

I'm gunna keep them white... they came stock that way (at least on this cab).   Unfortunately,  my SPO PCB set is acting up right now... that's my first priority.

Also,  I heard from TOG and MM... both shipments will be sent tomorrow so by Friday the cab restoration/conversion should be done...

EDIT: SPO boardset issue rectified... I found the VLM5030 had some pretty dirty legs... I cleaned them up and my voices came back and the lockup went away!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:44:21 pm by FrizzleFried »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »
Well... my marquee from Scott arrived today.  I'm pretty sure my SUPER and DUCK-PULL artwork will arrive tomorrow... then just a recap of the audio boards and upper monitor and all will be good.

As for the game itself... I can't get past Vodka Drunkinski.... that bastard is FAST!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:19 am »
looks amazing frizz, I totally forgot about Vodka Drunkinski but now that I see the name, I remember it got changed to Soda Popinski in the NES version. I admit, I'm super jealous!

You should join the nintendo fun club today.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:40:15 am by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »
Welp...she's finished...AND I got past Vodka Drunkinski... and the following Indian dude... but Super Macho Man kicks the piss outta me.

:)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:08 am »
Looks "Super"!

Nice work on the marquee.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »
The obsessive side of me loves seeing two cabinets with the same profile next to each other. Nice work!
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."