Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New jukebox project, homage to Salmon King  (Read 14535 times)

skepticalgeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2012, 08:27:41 pm
New jukebox project, homage to Salmon King
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:26:45 am »
New guy here with a new project announcement, a jukebox inspired by SK Jukebox. I know what you're thinking, another jukebox. Aren't there already about a bazillion of those? Hopefully I can convince you that this one stands out somewhat.

I love SK Jukebox. I use it at home in my game room. However, it wasn't as touchscreen friendly as I would like, and I thought it would be nice if it had an integrated album art downloader and CD ripper. Since Salmon King abandoned the project and didn't make the source code available, I decided to roll up my sleeves and make my own.

The project is called SKG Jukebox, both in homage to Salmon King and because it is a god abbreviation for skepticalgeek. It will have the same look and feel as SK Jukebox, but with the following differences

1) This will be an open source project, written in Qt so it will run on all major platforms, Windows Linux and Mac.
2) It will be netbook friendly. The configuration will include a netbook mode that displays 2 albums at a time instead of 4.
3) It will be touchscreen friendly. There will be keyboard shortcuts but they will not be essential. Anything you need to do you will be able to do with a mouse click or touch. This is the major design goal of the project.
4) There will be an integrated album art downloader, which will download missing album art from sources such as Google and Yahoo image search.
5) There will be an integrated CD ripper, using the LAME libraries to rip to mp3. Other formats may be supported, if I can find the appropriate libraries.

The project is at the pre-alpha phase now. It queues tracks and plays them, I will be posting updates and new screenshots as I progress. I don't have a website yet but when I am closer to release I will and will post it here. What I need from the members of this forum is the following:
1) I have decided not to include all 4,000 configurations options that Salmon King included in his program. Any configuration options or feature requests you would like included, please leave a message here and I will see what I can do.
2) I need a splash screen. I have no artistic skills whatsoever. None. Nada. Zilch. Didley freaking squat. If some one could help me out with a splash screen I could display while the program was initializing, or point me to someone who can, I would appreciate it. The splash screen should contain the name of the program, SKG Jukebox, my handle skepticalgeek, a tribute to Salmon King and SK Jukebox, and credit for yourself as the artist, if you like.

In the meantime, here are some screenshots to whet your appetite.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
Re: New jukebox project, homage to Salmon King
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:52 am »
Hi sketicalgeek, I too am a great fan of SK Jukebox and as such I am very interested in this project.

Request #1

One feature I would really like would be the ability to make custom lists.

For example when SK Jukebox open ups it scan all the music in the music folder and loads all the songs found.

I would like to be able to go a screen that displays all the directories and be able to tick the folders I want and save the selection to a name.

So after the jukebox starts up we could choose a custom list and only have albums from the list displayed.

So the jukebox in our house could contain saved lists for example:

All Music
Phil
Debbie
Kayla
Party Music
Video Clips

That way when we have it running in random we don't have to listen to other peoples ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

It would also be good if we could assign the list to buttons.

Request #2

I would like the jukebox to display the albums by artists #012-9ABC-Z then Compilations followed by Soundtracks.

If you're not interested in any of those requests that's cool, I still look forward to following the progress of this project.

Good luck.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:41 am »
Wow! Cool Beans. There are so few Jukebox apps that run on Linux that I can count them on one finger. I look forward to seeing this progress. Shame I have zero artistic ability or I would offer my help  :-\
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. The custom list is a good idea. I'll take a look at adding that once I get the album art download function working. The trick will be to do it in a way that is touch screen accessible. Clicking on a single album in a list box, then clicking an "Add" button over and over can get a bit tedious.

There isn't going to be any video support in this project. That is actually something I am contemplating for a future project called, weirdly enough, SKG Video Jukebox. That is still a ways away however.

Displaying the soundtracks and compilations at the end of the A-Z artist list is an interesting idea. I just need to figure out some way of identifying what those are, preferably automatically while the app is loading the music library. I'm trying to make this thing as user friendly as possible while still giving enough configuration options for advanced users. Thanks again.

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:14:10 am »
What will the system requirements be? I'm currently using SK Jukebox on a 400mhz system running an Nlited version of XP.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:43 am »
The Sk-Jukebox was originally keypad driving software, so I think you should support these users (keypad and/or touchscreen is what this software should support).

Nice effort and really nice interface.

Only think I might thinking is also hold the buttons to sk-jukebox style to using line graphics..... then it would been much more keypad.

The 4 screenshots in post don't work, but attachments do.

I actuelly tried do something this for MultiFE (MultiJuke), but have been a bit diffecent, but use same keys (due I use smootscrolling and one cover per vertical line and songs under it).

Not tried the software yet, but do that sone, since Sk-Jukebox was my favorit jukebox software of my competers.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »
Gonzo,

System requirements shouldn't be too steep. I am developing it mostly on a 1Ghz Compaq netbook running Ubuntu, not exactly a performance beast and it runs fine. The only performance issue I have noticed is that sometimes the animations, where one panel slides over another, are slower than I would like, but there would be a configuration option to turn this off. I checked the Qt website and they said that apps developed with their tools wioll run on anything form Win 98 and NT up through Win 2003. When I am ready to port the code to Windows, I will be using an XP virtual machine running on my main Linux box, which should basically mimic your setup. If I run into any issues I will fix or post them.

Space Fractal, thanks for the kind words. I am big admirer of your project, though I currently use Mamewah in my own cabinet. There will be various keyboard shortcuts in the app, which will make things easier for those who use them, but the important design goal is that everything is accessible through touch, or mouse clicks since it is the same thing. For example, all of the advanced features will be available through the Options screen, which you can bring up by choosing album number "000". From there you will be able to choose album art downloader, CD ripper, etc. But you will also be able to launch those screens directly with keystrokes like "a" for artwork screen, "r" for ripper, etc. The idea is to create a UI that is accessible with keyboard, but doesn't require on. 

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 01:28:48 am »
Ok thanks. Good to know.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:30:26 am »
mamewah is cool as well and created Arcade Music box in years ago for mamewah in mind (discounted).

All I meant is Sk-Jukebox was originally keypad driven jukebox software (not touchscreen) and then I think kaypad should been important too using inputs (due many Sk-Jukebox cabinets use keypad):
0-9, select, page left, page right and sometimes a parent button.

Howover its of course up to you what you do  :D, but still nice effoct and nice to do this open source.

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
SKG Jukebox Update--Album Art Downloader
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:54:20 am »
I have the album art download functionality working on the SKG Jukebox. There are two ways of going about it. If you select an album with no artwork, then click on the empty art, it will automatically download a selection of images from Google and Yahoo Image search, and let you save the one you want as the cover art.

The other way allows you to download art for multiple albums. If you select "Album Art" from the options screen, you will be taken to a screen that lets you select multiple albums via a checked list. You then press "Download Now" and it will download artwork one album at a time.

Next on the to-do list is RetroBorg's custom list idea. That should take a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I am still open to suggestions for additional features or configuration options. Also, this is an open source project. I don't have a website yet for downloading the source code from, but anyone that wants to can e-mail me at skeptcialgeek@yahoo.com and I will send you a zip file of the current source code, warts, missing features and everything.

In the meantime, here are some more screenshots, of the album art screens.

panetone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2010, 04:55:12 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:44:48 pm »
hi, iam braziliam student for QT, reading your post in buil your arcade control in forum, ihave very very interested in your project to study QT, i like to send me your source code , and  i tested, it`s  possible ???

thanks, and if your interested i have a code to simple interface  with PIC and your source code to control keypad this, but i don`t now , today is too old , new projects
want a monitor touch control, but if want a send to you !!!

i send mail to you but recieve a message error for this mail skeptcialgeek@yahoo.com

thanks..

marcelo anjos...

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
SKG Jukebox Update--Custom Album Lists
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:18 am »
I just finished the custom album list function suggested by RetroBorg. Through the configuration screen, you can create, delete and edit custom lists. You load a list by going to a separate screen accessible from the Options screen. When you restart the app, the custom list you had loaded last will be reloaded on startup. Here are some screenshots.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
Re: SKG Jukebox Update--Custom Album Lists
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:30 am »
I just finished the custom album list function suggested by RetroBorg. Through the configuration screen, you can create, delete and edit custom lists. You load a list by going to a separate screen accessible from the Options screen. When you restart the app, the custom list you had loaded last will be reloaded on startup. Here are some screenshots.

Well done, looks great.  ;D

Gremlin73

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:22:28 am »
Any more news.....

By the way you're email address doesn't work.

Gremlin73

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 10:47:26 am »
BUMP :applaud:

Pinball Wizard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:22:58 pm »
Did you ever get the splash screen done? If not I can try to put something together for you, just got to let me know what size you want it to be and the likes. Also, is this going to support theming at all? The interface is very good for a start but I kinda want to put my own twist on how things work. I guess the better way to ask that is this: can I theme it without source code changes? Good luck to you!
Where's my gold star :P

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:32:18 am »
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. Sorry about the lack of status updates. Right now I'm hip deep in the code for the integrated CD ripper. Between that, my job, and vehicle problems, I haven't had time to check the boards. The ripper stuff id going fairly well. It's a fairly complex process involving a lot of different libraries. It's been educational but not easy. I've figured out how to extract the tracks from the CD to wav files, how to query the freedb database for the disc information, and how to create mp3s and ogg vorbis files. Those two formats,as well as flac, will be supported in the ripper. I don't plan on having too many options in the ripper, probably just choice of formats, unless I get requests for more control. I plan on just having it default to high quality VBR rips. Lower quality files taking up less space may have made sense once upon a time, but considering 1Tb drive can be had for chump change these days, storage really isn't an issue. I figure if you want more options, you can use a dedicated ripping program. This is basically a down and dirty solution for ripping within the app.

I just checked the email address I posted earlier. Sorry for the typo. It should be skepticalgeek@yahoo.com.

Pinball wizard, I would love a splash screen. 800 * 600 should be fine, maybe something that can scale to full screen at a variety of resolutions. As far as theming goes, that will probably be in the first major revision for the program. I want to get the core functions working, set up a website, and get some people actually using it and giving real world feedback. I just need to figure out how to fit themes into the code base. It will probably be limited at first, changing the background, button colors, etc. until I can figure out how to do more advanced stuff.

I'm thinking it should be about another 2-3 weeks for the CD ripper code, I will post more screenshots then. Then I plan on adding the keyboard shortcuts, and a key mapper to make it more cabinet friendly. Then comes the fun part, testing across a variety of linux distros, and across a range of screen resolutions, to make sure everything looks good and scales right, from 800*600 to 1920*1080.

I hope to have a website going and a beta version available for download this summer. One question I would appreciate some feedback on. Should I release the Linux version and let people start using it while I work on the Windows port, or should I hold off and release both versions at once? Also, if anyone has any experience getting OS X to run in a virtual machine, I could use some help in that regard. Since Qt is cross platform, I would like to do a Mac port, but I don't own a Mac and I don't plan on spending several hundred dollars on one just for this project.

Cheers   

Pinball Wizard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:37 pm »
Also, if anyone has any experience getting OS X to run in a virtual machine, I could use some help in that regard. Since Qt is cross platform, I would like to do a Mac port, but I don't own a Mac and I don't plan on spending several hundred dollars on one just for this project.

I'll message you about the whole process and can also probably help you do the port to mac. I've always used a mac so nothing else I can beta test but I'll get the virtual machine help your way really soon.

PM me when you go to set up a website. I do web hosting as a business and I'm not the dirt cheap crap scum you get, we are personal.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:19:25 am by Pinball Wizard »
Where's my gold star :P

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
SKG Jukebox, Long Overdue Status Update
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 05:07:37 am »
Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I posted an update on this project. I hit a snag when developing the CD ripper code, and spent several weeks in seg fault hell. I had to shelve the project for a while to preserve my sanity. But, I'm back and things are progressing nicely. The ripper code is working. As of now, I can rip to mp3 or ogg files. I've got code to rip to flac files as well, but it's kind of temperamental at this point. If I can't iron out the kinks, I'll have to leave it out and just support mp3 and ogg vorbis. I have also added keyboard support, a key mapper function, and playlists. I'm about a week or two away from finishing the main coding, then the real fun begins--writing the user manual, developing the website, deployment testing, and doing the Windows port. In the meantime, here are some screenshots of the new features.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »
This is pretty cool.  I plan on setting up a jukebox on my cabinet since I have several gb of music and the kids like listening to it when playing outside.  I didn't see any mention, but do you happen to have skinning support?  I'd love to have a jukebox that I can skin into the same theme that my cabinet is.

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »
Looks great.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:27 am »
No skinning support at the moment. Perhaps in a future update. i'd really like to finish what I've got now, get it out there, and get some feedback on it.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
Status Update: SKG Jukebox
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 04:11:45 am »
skepticalgeek here. Just wanted to post a quick status update and brief cry for help on the SKG Jukebox. I've nearly finished the instruction manual, and am working on the Windows port. Everything is working in the Windows version, except the CD ripper. I used a number of third party libraries in developing the ripper software, and am having trouble finding Windows versions or equivalents. Any programmers out there who have written CD rippers in Window, I would appreciate a little advice. I need development libraries, that is a dll with header file(s), to find the cdrom drive, read the TOC on the audio CD, get the number of tracks, track offsets, etc, and query the freedb service. Also, if there are versions of the paranoia extraction and lame, vorbis and flac encoders, that would be good to.

I am using kcompactdisc and kcddb in the Linux version to read the CD and query freedb. I am currently trying to compile the libcdio library from source, but it is an exercise in frustration. Every compile error I fix leads to 3 more compile errors. Qt programming in Windows isn't nearly as straightforward as Linux. In Linux, you just determine what library you need, and go to Synaptic package manager and get the development files. Viola, you have a shared object file in you /usr/lib directory, nad the header files in /usr/include. Doing this in Windows is a lot more obtuse. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

No screenshots this go round, because the Windows version looks pretty much like the Linux version. Assuming I get this ripper problem fixed, the next step will be deployment testing, basically creating installation packages, installing on a clean system, and making sure nothing explodes. After that, I plan to do a limited beta test, a handful of friends, and possibly a few people from here on the boards, if anyone is interested in being a guinea pig. With any luck, I will have a website up and the software ready for download by winter. Anyone have any good ideas for a domain name? I was going to go with SKG Software, but apparently a company actually exists with that name. SkepticalGeek Software is a little unwieldy, and Skeptical Software doesn't sound game roomy. Thanks in advance for any help.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2014, 12:26:20 am
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »
New guy here with a new project announcement, a jukebox inspired by SK Jukebox. I know what you're thinking, another jukebox. Aren't there already about a bazillion of those? Hopefully I can convince you that this one stands out somewhat.

I love SK Jukebox. I use it at home in my game room. However, it wasn't as touchscreen friendly as I would like, and I thought it would be nice if it had an integrated album art downloader and CD ripper. Since Salmon King abandoned the project and didn't make the source code available, I decided to roll up my sleeves and make my own.

The project is called SKG Jukebox, both in homage to Salmon King and because it is a god abbreviation for skepticalgeek. It will have the same look and feel as SK Jukebox, but with the following differences

1) This will be an open source project, written in Qt so it will run on all major platforms, Windows Linux and Mac.
2) It will be netbook friendly. The configuration will include a netbook mode that displays 2 albums at a time instead of 4.
3) It will be touchscreen friendly. There will be keyboard shortcuts but they will not be essential. Anything you need to do you will be able to do with a mouse click or touch. This is the major design goal of the project.
4) There will be an integrated album art downloader, which will download missing album art from sources such as Google and Yahoo image search.
5) There will be an integrated CD ripper, using the LAME libraries to rip to mp3. Other formats may be supported, if I can find the appropriate libraries.

The project is at the pre-alpha phase now. It queues tracks and plays them, I will be posting updates and new screenshots as I progress. I don't have a website yet but when I am closer to release I will and will post it here. What I need from the members of this forum is the following:
1) I have decided not to include all 4,000 configurations options that Salmon King included in his program. Any configuration options or feature requests you would like included, please leave a message here and I will see what I can do.
2) I need a splash screen. I have no artistic skills whatsoever. None. Nada. Zilch. Didley freaking squat. If some one could help me out with a splash screen I could display while the program was initializing, or point me to someone who can, I would appreciate it. The splash screen should contain the name of the program, SKG Jukebox, my handle skepticalgeek, a tribute to Salmon King and SK Jukebox, and credit for yourself as the artist, if you like.

In the meantime, here are some screenshots to whet your appetite.

great work , just wondering if the play now button essentially moves the song to the top of the que while retaining the rest of the tracklist,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:50:40 pm by egosbar »

egosbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2014, 12:26:20 am
Re: Status Update: SKG Jukebox
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »
skepticalgeek here. Just wanted to post a quick status update and brief cry for help on the SKG Jukebox. I've nearly finished the instruction manual, and am working on the Windows port. Everything is working in the Windows version, except the CD ripper. I used a number of third party libraries in developing the ripper software, and am having trouble finding Windows versions or equivalents. Any programmers out there who have written CD rippers in Window, I would appreciate a little advice. I need development libraries, that is a dll with header file(s), to find the cdrom drive, read the TOC on the audio CD, get the number of tracks, track offsets, etc, and query the freedb service. Also, if there are versions of the paranoia extraction and lame, vorbis and flac encoders, that would be good to.

I am using kcompactdisc and kcddb in the Linux version to read the CD and query freedb. I am currently trying to compile the libcdio library from source, but it is an exercise in frustration. Every compile error I fix leads to 3 more compile errors. Qt programming in Windows isn't nearly as straightforward as Linux. In Linux, you just determine what library you need, and go to Synaptic package manager and get the development files. Viola, you have a shared object file in you /usr/lib directory, nad the header files in /usr/include. Doing this in Windows is a lot more obtuse. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

No screenshots this go round, because the Windows version looks pretty much like the Linux version. Assuming I get this ripper problem fixed, the next step will be deployment testing, basically creating installation packages, installing on a clean system, and making sure nothing explodes. After that, I plan to do a limited beta test, a handful of friends, and possibly a few people from here on the boards, if anyone is interested in being a guinea pig. With any luck, I will have a website up and the software ready for download by winter. Anyone have any good ideas for a domain name? I was going to go with SKG Software, but apparently a company actually exists with that name. SkepticalGeek Software is a little unwieldy, and Skeptical Software doesn't sound game roomy. Thanks in advance for any help.

hi mate ive sent you an email , but read somewhere here your email didnt work so id love to be a part of this project , ive been using skjuke for ages and think it was the best ive seen for an actual jukebox build , although it did need improvement it looks like you are covering the issues , i have used and tested a lot of juke software so i would be a good person to test and will have some good ideas , the world will thank you for this skgeek :D what a bonus your name fits in with it haha

keep up the good work and get it to us asap haha i will be waiting impatiently for this program

regards

ego