Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Dark Scrolls warn of the perils of.... Satan's Hollow  (Read 8663 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
The Dark Scrolls warn of the perils of.... Satan's Hollow
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »
Picked up another classic last year and I'm getting around to cleaning her up.

I present to you...Satan's Hollow

Game is fully working and cab is in decent shape.  Stenciled art work on the side has some scratches in it and the red paint was (poorly) touched up in spots.  Rich at ThisOldGame had mentioned that he is considering doing a stencil for this cab and if he does, I'll repaint the sides.  If not, I'll just leave it as is.

A couple of issues with the control panel.  The game has a Tron stick in it instead of the red Satan's Hollow stick.  It also uses a Gorf insert in the stick.  Button color is wrong on the start buttons as well.  Overlay is torn off on the left front of the panel.

They also replaced the blacklight with a red light (which I really like and will probably keep)

I picked up an original red joystick housing with only a minor crack in it.  This was before GGG reproduced these and I paid a lot more than the GGG price.  :banghead:

I also picked up the correct SH joystick insert.

The red light adds a neat glow to the game

Battery was already moved from the board

Looks like some acid damage but the game is working.  I was going to replace the battery with a lithium battery, but then I found out that you can use a NVRAM on the board instead.  I'm going to go that route.  It will be nice to save high scores.

Matt Osborn over at KLOV developed a set of freeplay ROMS so I added them in

Monitor is bright but has some curl to it.  It's a 4600 and will be getting a cap kit done to it.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Re: The Dark Scrolls warn of the perils of.... Satan's Hollow
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:02 pm »
Three cabs under restore now?? That would take me all year!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
The usual process on the control panel

Remove from game

Remove all the controls

Here you can see that except for the torn off part, the overlay was pretty nice

Darin at Phoenix Arcade recently did a repro of the CPO.  It's well done but the only issue is the color match

Still, this part will look much better:

I asked Darin about the color and here was his response

Quote from:  Phoenix Arcade
there isnt a yellow pantone color in the book to match, so we had to custom colorize and spot mix in the ink can. couldnt get it exact obviously. The brown was very close though

A heat gun and a scraper take off the old overlay easily

Just like my Mappy panel, this one has the same issues with the joystick post leaving an indentation on the panel.  Bally used a thick adhesive material under the overlay to cover this up.
I'll use some bondo to fill in these holes.

Some Citristrip takes off the remaining adhesive

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:39:31 pm by Spyridon »
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:37:47 pm »
Three cabs under restore now?? That would take me all year!

Phoenix, Front Line, and Satan's Hollow aren't getting much beyond new control panel overlays.  Doing the panels at the same time makes it easier. 

I want to get these done and out of the way so I can start the next two projects which will be getting the full treatment (complete strip, repaint, stencils, etc.)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:05 am »

Nice!  I love Satan's Hollow.  It is one of the very few rasters I still want.  That one should be minty fresh without a major overhaul. 

I'm hoping to eventually find one of these and a Devil's Dare to sit next to it.

forty4420

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2016, 12:52:32 am
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:48 am »
Want to get rid of your blue caseing cheap? :)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
Want to get rid of your blue caseing cheap? :)

Umm...NO.  It's in perfect shape so I'm saving it for a Tron if I ever find one.  I know there are nice repros out there, but this is a beautiful original.

Update on this project:  The weather is finally improving, so I should be able to paint the control panel soon.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
After using Naptha to clean off the remaining residue from the control panel, I applied some bondo to the recessed areas on the panel

And painted with rustoleum black paint

It's now ready for the overlay
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:36:02 am by Spyridon »

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:37:22 am »
Very nice! How many games you restoring at the same time, man? Are you a robot or something?  :lol  :cheers:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:14 am »
Very nice! How many games you restoring at the same time, man? Are you a robot or something?  :lol  :cheers:

Nope, look back to when this thread started.  I get started on them but life gets in the way.  Plus some of these are really just new overlays and minor stuff.  Not full restores like some of them.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
Finally got a chance to apply the overlay on this one.  Went on with no issues. 

I used clamps on both the top and bottom edge bends to hold it in place.  I'll leave it this way for a day or two and then install the joystick and (new) buttons.

Although the colors aren't an exact match, it sure is nice and shiny!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 09:14:28 am »
Restorations is about compromises....I really like SH's cab.
 Great work, as always :)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »
Control panel put back together and placed onto the cab.  New buttons replace the incorrect colored ones.

Lit up

I still need to cap the WG 4600 and install a NVRAM to save high scores, but she is basically done.

MythTrip

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2011, 08:12:28 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:44 pm »
Wow!  What a beautiful looking game.  Another great restoration job, Joe.

:applaud:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:01 am »
Wow!  What a beautiful looking game.  Another great restoration job, Joe.

Thanks.  There wasn't much that had to be done with this one.  The hardest part was finding the time to work on it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:01 pm »
Looking good!

It must look really rad in the dark, with that lit-up CP and red stick! By the pictures, it has a very ominous feeling to it. :D

Looks like you're missing a 25¢ insert. Are you planning on getting one?  I believe I have a single spare that I can give you, it came out of my Canucks Cocktail coin-door and I don't have a need for it. I think it's still in good condition, just needs a bit of a cleaning. I've since then replaced mine with NOS ones. Lemme know if you want it.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »
 :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:
NO MORE!!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:11 pm »
Looks like you're missing a 25¢ insert.

One of the coin mechs was modified for tokens.  It says tokens on the insert but doesn't light up. At this stage, I'm going to leave it as is but thanks for the offer.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »
Finally got around to doing the cap kit on this monitor.

(and game is sold and will be shipping out soon.)

drawfull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
Cab looks mint, I love SH

Question: Whose buttons do you use? Specifically, the ones on this? All the ones I have bought recently from various vendors have not been correct and the ones on this look the same as those on Track & Field of which I need red ones.

Cheers

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »

Question: Whose buttons do you use? Specifically, the ones on this? All the ones I have bought recently from various vendors have not been correct and the ones on this look the same as those on Track & Field of which I need red ones.

I get all my buttons from Bob Roberts.  You can get both the short and long buttons depending on the game you are restoring.

If you need Track & Field buttons, he sells a complete set for $14.

Nephasth

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
Beautiful job! This game is on the top of my want list. :applaud:

drawfull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 02:32:41 pm »

I get all my buttons from Bob Roberts.  You can get both the short and long buttons depending on the game you are restoring.

If you need Track & Field buttons, he sells a complete set for $14.

Thanks again! Sent an order across to Bob :)