Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Place to buy 50mm replacement headphone speaker?  (Read 13432 times)

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
Place to buy 50mm replacement headphone speaker?
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »
Im not having much luck finding places that will sell a thin, 50mm speaker with a frequency response suitable for use in headphones (20-20,000 ideally).  Anyone have any suggestions?

Most speakers you can get in this size seem to be for alarms or intercoms, and have terrible response ranges for headphone purposes.

The ones Im trying to replace look like Mylar speakers, which should be common for this size.  But I dont really care what they are made of as long as they are relatively thin, 50mm, and have acceptable frequency response.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:34:29 pm by massive88 »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Place to buy 50mm replacement headphone speaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:10 pm »
Im not having much luck finding places that will sell a thin, 50mm speaker with a frequency response suitable for use in headphones (20-20,000 ideally).  Anyone have any suggestions?

With few exceptions, headphones have reached throw-away status. I doubt very many places sell speakers of this kind since most people would just buy whole new headphones rather than make any attempt to repair them.

That said, 50mm? Are you trying to repair a pair of circumaural headphones or something? Why not just buy a new set?

If you're doing this for a cab, buy a pair of headphones and cannibalize them.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:06 pm »
I Highly recommend a pair of  Sennheiser  headphones.  The Audiophile series
model HD-500 or above.

- They have removable / replaceable cords. (input port on the phones themselves)
- Amazing sound quality - which will blow you away.
- They are very lightweight, and comfortable - Wearable to 8+hrs, and no discomfort.
- All parts are replaceable. Earpads, cords, drivers, and more, sold on the website.
- The are very durable. I use mine every day. Ive fallen asleep with them on a few
times.  They are over 6yrs old, and still sound just like new.  No broken parts.
(Ive managed to break almost all other headphone sets accidentally, as well as the cord)
- Clean Deep Low Bass, with no boomy distortions at high volumes.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_audiophile-headphones

Here is a driver only for the HD600 :

Frequency response (headphones)     12 - 39,000 Hz
Nominal impedance    300 ohms
Sound pressure level (SPL)    97 dB (SPL), at 1 mW
Total harmonic distortion (THD)    0.1 %
Transducer principle    Open-Aire, dynamic

You can find used Senns for good prices on ebay and amazon.

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:27:45 am »
I am looking to repair Turtle Beach X4's that broke.

You can buy full replacement sets from Turtle Beach for $70, but all the expensive circuitry works just fine, its just that the speakers got blown.

Worst case scenario Ill buy either the replacement headset, or the newer X31 for $100.  But the speakers themselves shouldnt cost more than a few bucks a pop, if I can find a vendor...

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:35 am »
I used to think like that... But after hearing the Major difference between
the Senns and other major brand name sets, ...I was shocked at how different quality makes.  And quality isnt dollar day cheap...  and if you have the good ears and sound card to provide for them, its one of the best investments you can ever make.

My senns sound better than my entire surround sound speaker system.
In fact, you couldnt match their response and sound quality with $900
home speakers.

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
Find some cheapish headphones the same size and rob the speakers?

That will be my next step if I cant find the raw parts.

I used to think like that... But after hearing the Major difference between
the Senns and other major brand name sets, ...I was shocked at how different quality makes.  And quality isnt dollar day cheap...  and if you have the good ears and sound card to provide for them, its one of the best investments you can ever make.

My senns sound better than my entire surround sound speaker system.
In fact, you couldnt match their response and sound quality with $900
home speakers.

I understand, but you are missing the point that this is a specialized set for playing xbox.  I dont need the highest quality, what I paid for in the original set, was decent a decent sounding headset, thats wireless, and does some DSP to emulate surround sound, as well as other things such as bring down the game sound when people chat.  Not to mention the integrated Mic and all.  I still have the wireless part working, the DSP is still in tact, I just need the decent sound back.